I could easily come up with a top ten (or top twenty!) list myself, but I want the t-shirts to reflect the larger community, not just what I think are the most important things.
So I am asking for people to contribute things that have been said to them that they would like to see appear on the shirts. The two shirts I want to design are:
TOP TEN THINGS NEVER TO SAY TO THE PARENT OF AN AUTISTIC CHILD
TOP TEN THINGS NEVER TO SAY TO AN AUTISTIC ADULT
Contributing something does not obligate you to buy a shirt!!! I just want to put together shirts that are designed based on what real people want them to say. Make sense? You can contribute suggestions for the lists in the comments of this post or you can email them privately if you wish, to unstrangemind at gmail dot com.
Thank you so much!
image description: a yellow t-shirt with a top graphic of the standard disability graphic of a stick person in a wheelchair, except they have a bow and are firing arrows into a smile face. The top caption says “top 10 things NEVER to say to a Disability Rights Activist” The list reads as follows:
1. What’s wrong with you?
2. It’s so great to see you out in public!
3. People like you are such an inspiration…if I were in your situation I’d probably kill myself.
4. Yeah we’re accessible … we only have two steps.
5. I was just parking there for a minute.
6. Wheelchair access is around the back … through the alley, behind the dumpster … just knock and someone will take you through the kitchen.
7. We’re covered by the Grandfather clause (NOT)
8. You can’t bring that dog in here!
9. Can’t he just read lips?
10. Can you drive? Who do you live with?
At the bottom is another graphic of the stick figure in the wheelchair but their arms are raised above their head in a victory stance. Below them are the letters ADAPT and above them are some words I can’t make out because they are too tiny for me to see clearly.